We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The red spider mite is a member of the Tetranychid family that attacks houseplants, green or flowering, and plants in the garden.
The name spider is therefore inappropriate because it is actually a mite.
They often cause limited damage but can also, when numerous, contribute to plant dieback.
Treatment and control of red spiders, here's what you need to know:
Why red spiders?
Spider mites proliferate and attack plants when the air is cool. hot and dry.
That’s why we find them on indoor plants, all year round, and in the garden, in summer, when it is not raining and the temperature is permanently above 20 °
By the way, spiders are not insects and theinsecticide abuse allows their development. By killing their predators, you give them the opportunity to develop.
Procedure of red spiders
Red spiders feed on the sap of the plant by sucking the leaves to absorb the leaf cells.
- Capable of multiplying very quickly, their attack can be formidable if not caught in time.
In addition, they are able to move from one plant to another, which allows them to infect a multitude of plants if one is touched.
- If you notice an attack on a plant, keep other plants away, especially if they are touching each other.
Symptoms and damage of red spiders
Their small size makes them difficult to see with the naked eye, but a small magnifying glass can often identify them.
- The first characteristic is the appearance of small white or yellow dots, then the complete yellowing of leaves.
Moreover, the fact that they weave small webs around the leaves makes it easier to notice them.
- Spray water on the plant for this and see if the webs take shape
One can also find a multitude of small holes on the leaves.
Red spider and treatment
As we said, red spiders like when the air is very dry to thrive.
- So spray water non-calcareous regularly on the foliage to create a humid environment conducive to making them disappear.
- If that's not enough, buy a acaricide, sold in all garden centers.
While the spider mite often causes limited damage, keep a close eye on your plants regularly, especially during hot weather and dry weather as this is where they reproduce fastest.