We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The apple tree is one of the most common and popular fruit trees in our orchards.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Malus communis
Family : Rosaceae
Type : fruit tree
Height : 5 to 10 m
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Rich, well drained
Flowering : Spring -Harvest : August to November depending on varieties
- Health: benefits and virtues of apples
If the number of apple varieties is large, the cultivation of all apple trees remains close.
Apple tree planting
For apple tree planting, you will preferably plant in theautumn to facilitate good rooting before winter.
You can also put it in the ground until spring, outside of frost and in summer outside of hot weather.
For planting in spring and summer, plan a more regular watering.
- The apple tree needs sunlight to flower and produce apples.
- He likes well-drained soils.
- Adding fertilizer such as manure and algae to the plantation will improve the tree's recovery.
- Water regularly for the first 2 years after planting your apple tree.
- To promote rooting, follow our advice on planting trees and shrubs.
Apple tree pollination:
In general, the apple tree is not self-fertile, this means that if you want to have apples, you have to plant at least 2 apple trees
If you do not have the room to plant several apple trees, choose a variety self-fertile.
> Find the best varieties of apples and apple trees depending on their use.
Apple tree size
In order to stimulate the appearance of many beautiful and numerous apples, it is important to make a fruiting size before the resumption of vegetation.
The pruning of your apple tree will therefore take place at the end of winter, but outside the frost period.
- Adding fruit tree fertilizer in the spring improves productivity. Place a good handful of granulated fertilizer lightly buried in the soil.
- It is important to water regularly for the first 2 years after planting.
>>> Find our advice forprune an apple tree well >>>
Apple tree diseases
The apple tree, like most fruit trees, is prone to a few common diseases, such as fungi.
If an attack occurs shortly before harvest, the damage is often limited and there is simply discoloration of the apples, then the harvest is not compromised.
If, on the other hand, scab occurs early in the season, treatment is recommended to prevent spread. An early attack can limit the formation of apples and therefore the harvest.
- Regular treatment with nettle manure as soon as the apple tree buds form, it prevents scab.
- A spray based on Bordeaux mixture also helps prevent scab.
- Avoid any treatment a few weeks before harvest.
- At the end of the season, collect all the leaves and destroy them to prevent scab from settling in your garden.
- Find our sheet dedicated to the treatment of scab.
Apple rot, moniliosis:
Another common disease of pear trees isfruit rot, or moniliosis. This fungus can cause serious damage to apple trees.
- The same treatments as for scab are required.
- The horsetail decoction also has positive effects on moniliosis.
- Find our sheet dedicated to fruit rot, moniliosis.
Insects and parasites: Aphids, mealybugs ...
If you find that the leaves of your apple tree curl up and become sticky, it is probably aphids or mealybugs.
- here's howfight against aphids.
- here's how fight against mealybugs.
- A strip of glue around the trunk helps prevent many insects from settling in the tree and on the leaves.
The best way to keep them for a long time apples in winter is to place them in wooden crates, in a cool, ventilated and rather dark place.
- The ideal storage temperature is between 5 and 10 °
About the fallen fruit, consume them as quickly as possible because the fall has damaged them and they will not keep for long.
- Find our advice dedicated to the good conservation of apples
To know about the apple tree
The apple tree is a fruit tree very often cultivated for the quality of its fruits, but also to be a tree very decorative In early spring.
Her flowering is magnificent, it goes from pure white to pinkish white.
From the end of summer, the beautiful color of apples will also brighten up your garden and satisfy your appetite!
His maintenance is easy and its culture accessible to all gardeners!
From late summer to fall, harvest your apples for plain tasting, in pies, compotes and even jam, it's delicious. (Photo © Carola Vahldiek)
- Health: benefits and virtues of apples
In order to promote fruiting of the apple treeespecially at the beginning, give it an organic amendment such as manure and algae in the fall and spring.