We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
In the bitch, the heat appear between 6 and 24 months. Spaced by 6 to 9 months, they last on average 3 weeks.
The smaller the bitch, the earlier her heat. Here is some information on the process, signs and precautions to take when a bitch is in heat.
Heat in the bitch
In canids, the sexual act is accepted by the female only to perpetuate the species. Heat announces ovulation and possible fertilization.
Course of heat in the bitch:
- The bitch's reproductive cycle begins with proestrus. She has a bloody discharge and a swollen vulva. She is not yet fertile. This period lasts about ten days.
- The presence of pheromones in his urine and vaginal fluids attracts males
- Proestrus is followed by estrus. This is the time of ovulation. Her blood loss turns pink and her vulva is less swollen. For 2 or 3 days, the bitch is fertile. She accepts mating.
- Slowly, the blood loss decreases and disappears completely.
- In the event of successful breeding, pregnancy is visible a month later. The bitch's gestation lasts 65 days.
- Otherwise, the genital system enters a phase of sexual rest until the next heat, the anestrus.
ATread also: understanding nervous pregnancy in bitch
How do you know if a bitch is in heat?
Often, there is a physical and behavioral change in the bitch in heat.
- Blood loss and swollen vulva.
- His appetite increases or decreases.
- She sleeps a lot and refuses gambling.
- The bitch is crying.
- She is sticky and cuddly or on the contrary aggressive.
- The bitch seeks contact with the males.
- She scratches her bed as if preparing a den.
Did you know ?
The first heat sometimes goes unnoticed because they are so discreet. We then speak of silent heat.
Precautions to take when a bitch is in heat
- Secure the garden. The risk of running away is high during this period.
- Keep your dog on a leash during walks to avoid unwanted matings.
- If you have a couple of dogs and a pregnancy is not desired, keep each individual in a separate room. Moving your male to friends or to a boarding house is a good compromise for everyone's peace of mind.
2 solutions to suppress heat in dogs
Medication for bitch in heat:
If you want to breed your bitch later, your dog's heat can be stopped temporarily by an injection of hormones (synthetic progesterones). Talk to your vet.
The definitive solution:
Sterilization is a definitive solution to suppress heat in the bitch.This operation involves removing the bitch's ovaries and uterus.
- There is no need to wait for your dog's first heat or have her litter to have her sterilized. The ideal age is between 6 months and 1 year.
- This solution prevents unwanted pregnancies and increases your dog's life expectancy.
- Sterilization reduces the risk of breast tumors or infection of the cervix.
- 3% of bitches are observed to become incontinent 2 to 4 years after the procedure. Medicines are available to alleviate the situation.
- Warning ! weight gain is inevitable!You can limit it by reducing your dog's food intake and offering her reduced kibble. Of course, daily walks are a must!
Did you know ?
In dogs, menopause does not exist. However, after the age of 7, her fertility declines. Pairing her is not advisable. Having babies would tire his body.
- For sleeping, offer a plastic basket to your dog to facilitate cleaning. Line it with disposable mattress pads.
- During the walks, you can make your dog wear sanitary panties.
When your dog's heat has passed, give her a bath to remove the odors of pheromones that persist for a long time.
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they fill it entirely".