We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Spirea is a beautiful shrub with spring or summer flowering.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Spiraea
Family : Rosaceae
Type : Shrub
Height : 2 m
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Ordinary, well drained
Foliage : Expired -Flowering : Spring or summer depending on species
Maintenance, from planting to pruning, will allow you to improve the flowering and growth of spirea.
Spirea crashes rather in the fall or in the spring for subjects purchased in containers.
In order to promote the flowering of the spirea, choose a sunny place or partially shaded.
- Absolutely avoid periods of frost when planting
- Dig a hole of about 60 cm deep and mix the garden soil with potting soil
- Check out our guide to well plant a shrub.
- Multiplication by cuttings at the end of winter.
For spirea plants planted in the spring, regular watering should be provided during the 1st year following planting.
Multiplication of spirea:
The easiest and fastest technique to propagate spirea is cuttings.
- Spirea cuttings take place in the summer.
- Take the cuttings about 10-15 cm.
- Remove the bottom leaves to keep only 1 or 2 floors in mind.
- Optionally soak the base in the cutting hormone.
- Plant the cuttings in special cutting soil.
- Place the cuttings under cover, keeping the substrate slightly damp.
Pruning and caring for spirea
Once properly installed, spirea requires very little care and maintenance.
Delete withered flowers gradually to extend the flowering period as much as possible.
Spirea can, like all shrubs, not be pruned.
But by pruning your spirea just after flowering, you will improve the next flowering, in quality and quantity.
The spring flowering species are pruned just after the flowers have fallen.
The summer flowering species are pruned at the end of winter, around March.
- Start by removing the withered branches at the base.
- Remove the oldest wood to stimulate the emergence of new growth.
- Clear the center of the spirea while restoring a balanced silhouette to your shrub.
- Check out our guide to prune the shrubs well.
Good to know about spirea
Spirea is a very beautiful shrub that blooms rather springtime, although some varieties can flower in summer.
It is very easy to grow and has good hardiness. It adapts to most soils and climates.
Its frost resistance is around -15 °
You will install the spirea as well as a hedge, in isolation or in a cluster of shrubs.
Some varieties of Spirea are dwarf and are particularly suitable for container culture.
From interesting species and varieties of spirea, note:
- Spirea arguta: small white flowers in spring
- Spirea japonica: pink or white flowers in July and August
- Spirea prunifolia: large white flowers in spring
- Spirea thunbergii: small white flowers in spring
- Spirea vanhouttei: small white flowers in clusters in spring
The center of the shrub should be pruned regularly in order to bring in as much light as possible.
Also read on shrubs:
- Tips for properly pruning shrubs
- Flowering hedge shrub ideas
- The shrubs that bloom in summer
- Spring flowering shrubs